Job market at present demand new skill sets. Due to this necessity for new teaching methods and learning paradigms are in demand. Our entire education structure has a void and it results into a difference between the skills required in a particular job and actual organization expectations. Education structure should stop redundancy and oath to become relevant as the normal pattern and inflow of resources post education make it difficult for new hires to cope with their first job. During this period, it has become mandatory for reporting managers to mentor the new hires well in terms of complete induction, as calibre of joiners will not suffice when it comes to the expectations of the employers.
The gaps as identified in the format of education are as below:
1. Adaptation and upgradation of curriculum as per the industrial requirements
2. Keeping the faculties updated with most recent curriculums
3. Exposing faculties to the job market with internship programs in organizations for acquiring knowledge of job requirements in relevant markets
4. Industry interactions of students to make them aware with industry norms
5. Implementing practical, conceptual and captivating teaching methods for better understanding
6. Application and adoption of real life scenarios
7. Online orientation on various concepts on Growth of Indian Economy for the next 15 years
Many universities follow an outdated curriculum format, serving only in stamping a degree on graduation certificates, which has no resemblance to real time education and works that students encounter once they embark their careers. Consequently, they fail to impress and meet employers' expectations. The population explosion and extreme competition worsen the situations from which only survivors performs on the world stage.
"A joint report by KPMG and Google suggests that Indian online education industry is heading towards a whooping $2 billion business by 2021"
Only governmental educational reformation can direct universities to transformation, as India is abundant in fresh minds with high potentials. Holistic learning approach would ferment and benefit these minds through exposure and giving life to their ideas, thoughts and intellect. This will replicate to innovation and enhancement that our country requires.
However, despite the drowning situation, there is an escape path via 'Online Learning'. It is important as it serves as gate away door to unlimited learning experience. Any interested student, graduate or working professional can upgrade their skills using online medium.
A joint report by KPMG and Google suggests that Indian online education industry is heading towards a whooping $2 billion business by 2021. The online education portals are serving the country by providing exponential learning through critically chosen content, which bifurcates into segments such as test preparation, re-skilling, higher education, language and casual learning, primary and secondary supplementary education. Furthermore, primary and secondary supplementary education is a massive segment for coming years as it holds greater vision of changing the process of imparting education in India.
Change is the only constant and knowledge is the key mantra to success in any profession. Like, teachers can never go out of job provided they stay abreast of curriculum and teaching methods. I have seen enormous change in mindset and pedagogies of universities in the last five years. Teachers have started giving importance to emotional and intelligence quotient, especially during formative stages. We also encounter teachers from IIM's and IIT's teaching upper grades. Apart from them, teachers need to realize the fact that upgradation is must in all aspects of teaching to make learning an experiential process.
Technology is a boon for teacher, as it enhances their productive efforts and paves a better experience in teaching students. The advent of internet and global content access has made multiple format of teaching easier. Students now enjoy learning. If teachers are as good as students (Internet savvy, Inquisitive, Innovative, Interesting and Inclusive) they face no challenge. They should go beyond rule books and prepare future job ready students. This is the key to success of any institution.
Few major challenges are a threat to students with regards to the online education process:
1. Authenticity of the content vs the Table of contents: Insight cases of learning where course materials are not relevant to TOC and many times the table of content differ from the actual course material offered by an online company.
2. Lack of interactive or FTF learning: Classroom methods offer an ancient interactive learning since the Gurukul age in India. A sudden shift to online learning needs extreme levels of disciplines for self-learning and high dependency of research that only happens in post graduation or PhD.
3. Plagiarism: Unless there is a proper method to monitor the student the easier methods of coping content and adding the same to the projects are a threat to online education. Students tend to take the easier path and hence their ability to grasp is affected.
4. Group Learning: Ten questions make one learn more as this is a format of listen and learn when questions are asked. In a classroom when peers pose question it acts as an additional learning which one miss out on online learning unless it's group learning.
The online education formats should change and be more innovative and inclusive due to high competition and provide sanctity of education and curriculum for students to explore their intellect. The government must prescribe the industry specific policy for ensuring the online education companies to enable skilled students become professionals and ready for global workforce across various stages, which are formative, basic, upper education, higher education, and doctorates. Adequate investments are to be sanctioned to ensure online education companies not just generate revenues but also drive larger agenda, which is "Putting India to Work".
N Shivakumar heads the recruitment process outsourcing at Teamlease Services, which encompasses industries such as Telecom, Consulting, E-Commerce, Education, KPO / BPO, Media & Entertainment, Healthcare, Logistics, Travel and Tourism, Hospitality & Facility, Retail, Aviation and others. He is responsible for the P&L and service delivery of recruitment in this segment Pan India. His role is to enable opportunities identified and offer long-term recruitment solutions to organisation with the service offerings of TeamLease Services Ltd such as Leadership hiring, RPO, Lateral hiring, Recruiter on Demand. Over 17 years of experience in various process and aspects of recruitment including multiple flavours of RPO, RMG, Recruitment Planning, Recruitment Re engineering, Costing, Service Delivery and building a robust Recruitment team PAN India and UAE.